Monday, December 5, 2011

Meatballs and Polenta




This is one of the first recipes I tried that I had gotten online and a meal that I never really had before. Don't ask me how I stumbled upon it. Maybe I was looking up meatball recipes. Maybe I was looking up a way to use up some beef. Who knows. It was probably one of the more involved recipes I had ever tried to date.

It turned out pretty incredible. Though, I do admit, the recipe makes a lot and it's a heavy dish. With a mixture of pork and beef, it sits heavy in your stomach the rest of the day. But it is yummy with that melted cheese and creamy polenta. The addition of pork to the meat mixture adds a richness and makes for a moister (more moist?) meatball. If you read the recipe, you'll notice that I omitted the tomatoes and mushrooms.

I've made a couple of variations of this recipe. The second time I made it, I cut the recipe in half and only used the ground beef. Still a rich dish, but not as heavy as before. The third time, I think I mixed in ground turkey with the beef which lightened up the dish a lot. It definitely changes the flavor profile, but we're not picky.

A fun take on meatballs for the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment