Monday, May 31, 2010

Beef Brisket

Beef Brisket

5-6lb beef brisket
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 can of Coke
1 bottle of Heinz chili sauce

Mix cola, chili sauce and onion soup mix. Place brisket, fat side up, in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Pour liquid mixture over brisket and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes per pound, about 3 hours or until tender. Trim off fat after cooking.


The steam kind of created a cool image for the beef.

Ok, so I either forgot to get brisket or I couldn't find it at the grocery store. Either way, I ended up with some kind of roast and ended up cooking it in the crock pot for about 8 hours. So I really can't comment on this recipe since I didn't cook it the way it was supposed to and, really, you can't go wrong with a crock pot. So the meat was tender and I definitely spooned some of the sauce over the meat to keep it moist. Next time, I'll have to try it the way the recipe says.

The great thing about this meal was the side items. Roasted broccoli, fried carrots and oven baked potatoes. Yum. To roast the broccoli, heat the oven to 400 degrees and toss the florets with olive oil and salt and pepper on a roasting pan. Stick in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. It gives a nice rustic element to the broccoli. I added a few shavings of asiago cheese for a little bit of a bit.

Wes pan-fried the carrots in soy sauce, garlic powder and salt & pepper. I can't tell you exactly what he did but I love the way he cooks carrots. He had a nice crust on them and turned them really sweet. So good. And the potatoes? They're from a packet.

Overall, a great, hearty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment