Monday, February 22, 2010

Shutter Island

I was pretty adamant that I didn't want to see Shutter Island. The trailer was scary enough for me and The Wolfman was counting towards my scary movie, right? Well, I agreed to go see Shutter Island with Wes. What a good wife I am.



So the movie centers around Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo as federal marshals investigating the disappearance of an inmate on an island that houses the criminally insane. The plot just gets thicker and thicker the longer they stay on there, which they're forced to do because of a hurricane.

The movie was really good. Yes, I did close my eyes or stare at the floor during certain parts of the movie. I can't help it if I get scared easily. But it wasn't as scary as I anticipated it being. The crazies of the criminally insane asylum weren't as numerous or scary as the one they show in the trailer of the hallow looking woman holding her finger up to her lips. Of course, with Martin Scorsese directing, it has to be a good movie right? There are a lot of twists and turns in the movie and one of my co-workers, who saw it at the same showing as us, said that he didn't see the ending coming. There was also a point in the movie where I hoped they wouldn't leave it open to audience interpreting the ending. Of course, that did happen at the very ending in a sense. A few intense scenes, but those are mostly during Leonardo DiCaprio's flashbacks.

Speaking of Leo, he did a great job. And actually I enjoyed every actor in this movie from Mark Ruffalo to Sir Ben Kingsley to Michelle Williams. I think she did a particularly good job. Not a disappointing movie at all. In fact, Wes and I were constantly thinking about the movie when we got home. If you're not keen on seeing a thriller movie in the theatre, definitely go rent it when it comes out on video.

No comments:

Post a Comment