Friday, July 23, 2010

Ginger-Lime Chicken Thighs

I was craving some fattening, crispy chicken skin one day and searched the Internet for a meal that included crunchy chicken skin. What did I come across? Martha Stewart's recipe for Ginger-Lime Chicken Thighs. So I gave it a try. Here's the recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart.

Ginger-Lime Chicken Thighs

1 Tb. finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
1 Tb. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. curry powder
4 scallions, minced
Salt & pepper
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs

Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine ginger, lime juice, curry powder, scallions, 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper.

Arrange chicken on prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Gently loosen skin from each piece of chicken, leaving it connected at the end. Dividing evenly, rub ginger mixture under the skin.

Turn thighs, skin side down, on baking sheet. Broil about 5 minutes. Flip thighs, skin side up, and continue to broil until skin is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thighs (avoiding bones) registers 165 degrees, 6-8 minutes more.

Serve chicken drizzled with pan juices.


Craving crispy chicken skin.

My mom always told me not to try new dishes out on guests. Well, my in-laws were in town and this was on the menu. It turned out ok. My downfall, was that I didn't set my oven rack at the highest setting. I think if I had down that, the skin would have crisped up more and I would've been more confident that the chicken was cooked thoroughly.

Allocate about two chicken thighs per person. My mother-in-law and I only ate one, but my father-in-law and Wes both had two. I served this with couscous, mixed with a little lime juice and grated carrots. It was definitely a flavorful meal, but I would have enjoyed it more if I felt more confident about the outcome.

I did introduce my father-in-law to ginger. The ginger mixture is light and tangy. The curry shows up a little bit, but doesn't overpower it. You taste probably more of the ginger and lime juice. Since the mixture only sat on top of the chicken, you don't get that flavor all the way through. I wish that there was more of that throughout the chicken and not just on top. Maybe even letting it sit a few minutes would help infuse the flavors more in the meat.

Not a bad dish, but I will definitely place the chicken closer to the heat to get that crispiness. It's a light meal and chicken thighs are a nice alternative to chicken breasts. Try it out. The most difficult part is probably grating the ginger since it gets stringy. But it's so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment