Monday, June 21, 2010

BBQ Chicken Pizza

The first fancy pizza I ever had was a BBQ Chicken pizza. So why wouldn't I find a recipe to make a pizza that I love? This came from Southern Living and is easy thanks to Pillsbury pizza doughs!

BBQ Chicken Pizza

1 small onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. olive oil
1 refrigerated pizza crust
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
Grilled chicken breast, shredded
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers - I generally just use Mozzarella cheese.

Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, 8-10 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Unroll pizza crust; press or pat lightly into a greased 13x9" pan. I like to spread some vegetable oil on the pan, sprinkle with cornmeal and roll the dough out over it.

Bake crust at 400 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes. Spread 1/2 cup barbecue sauce evenly over top of pizza crust in pan. Arrange chicken strips evenly over sauce, top with onion mixture and sprinkle evenly with cheese.

Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro.


The onions and peppers were omitted this time because of some picky eaters staying at my house....

Have I ever said how much I like home-made pizzas? Oh, did I mention that here? Well it bares repeating. Home-made pizzas are the best. Easy to do and easily customizable. Take your favorite barbecue sauce and use that, use a roasted chicken from the grocery store... It's all so easy. I especially love the cilantro on top. Have I mentioned my love of cilantro too? That's what a barbecue chicken pizza is all about. I love all the different flavors going on in this recipe.

This particular time I did leave out the onion and red pepper mixture because of a special house guest who isn't a fan of vegetables. And no, it's not Wes. But I really like red peppers on this pizza. It gives it a sweet crunch to this pizza and adds another component to chicken and cheese.

Give this recipe a try. I think you'll become a fan too.

No comments:

Post a Comment